11 October 2009

Antichrist (Lars von Trier, 2009)

7/10
Kind of ironic that on a day like Thanksgiving (in Canadaland) when every other channel has some kind of family movie on, the FNC decided to show Lars Von Trier's Antichrist at 1 in the afternoon. I dig it.
The movie ended about 8 hours ago and it hasn't been far from my thoughts since. I still don't know what to make of it, and my rating has changed wildly until I settled on a tentative 7 that could still go up or down depending on my mood. There are a lot of things to like and a lot of things to hate, and that's not even counting the graphic scenes of genital mutilation. On a whole, the movie seems to be spread thin, with LVT make half-hearted arguments and statements that you're not sure he ever believes and which dissipate as quickly as they're introduced. There is a heavy air of misogyny throughout and Von Trier seems content to approve and condemn it almost from scene to scene. But the acting is spectacular and the story is so gripping it almost seems not to matter...or it makes the discrepancies easier to overlook.
I still don't know what to think, honestly. It's definitely one of the most affecting movies I've ever seen...I felt like I was in a daze for hours after it was over. The opening sequence is one of the most tragic, compelling, arresting, best-shot pieces of cinema I've ever seen in my life and I'd contend it's worth the price of admission alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment