22 November 2009

The Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans (Werner Herzog, 2009)

6.5/10
Werner Herzog's strangest film...and coming from the guy that did Even Dwarves Started Small and Heart of Glass that's saying something. I'm not really sure what the point is here - there are some incredibly funny moments but they're too few and far in between. It's mostly a lampooning of the "bad cop" movie genre but it just doesn't seem like a lot of effort with it and Herzog flips between playing it straight and going overboard. There are some incredible scenes though but I'm not sure most people will get the overt references to his other movies (namely Stroszek and Aguirre). I can see anyone who doesn't know Werner Herzog or his sense of humor hating this; I'm a huge Herzog fan and I still don't really know what to think. Nicolas Cage was very good though, and really seemed to be having a lot of fun with the role. I'll have to think about this some more...

No comments:

Post a Comment