21 February 2010

L'Avventura (Michelangelo Antonioni, 1960)

4/10
My second Antonioni (after Blow-Up) and the second I haven't been particularly impressed with, I wonder just how well his films age...L'Avventura certainly seems to be more of its era. Its characters and their dialogue share something with the French New Wave but I find those films (the ones I've seen) to still come off more vital. I found L'Avventura less interesting as it wore on (to the point of boredom) and not necessarily because the "disappearance of Anna" was phased out. I just didn't find the remaining characters, their ensuing relationship, or anything else particularly engrossing. Maybe Antonioni just isn't for me, but I'll keep an open mind since I also have L'Eclisse to watch eventually.

No comments:

Post a Comment