30 December 2010

True Grit (Ethan Coen & Joel Coen, 2010)

8/10
This is a very good movie but I would be lying if I said I wasn't slightly underwhelmed - although, in fairness, I did have exceedingly high expectations. Jeff Bridges is great, and can convey more meaning with one blue eyeball than other actors can with their whole bodies. Hailee Steinfeld also did very well for herself surrounded by heavyweights like Bridges, Damon and Brolin most of the movie. I really liked how the Coens told a kind of "old Hollywood" story - there was something very classical in its execution that I enjoyed very much, not to mention the trademark Coens humor. It wasn't quite the revelation I was hoping for but it was a lot of fun, a very "transporting" movie if you will. For more than Bridges' performance I was reminded of last year's Crazy Heart: a movie that hits the right notes, won't bowl you over but leaves you still very satisfied. I downloaded the Wayne True Grit the other day so I'll give that a look ASAP.

No comments:

Post a Comment