30 May 2011

Blade Runner (Ridley Scott, 1982)

7/10
(Final Cut version)
I'd be lying if I said I wasn't slightly disappointed. The technology and visuals wear extremely well, but I think other elements suffer - particularly Rutger Hauer's performance and Vangelis' score, both of which constantly teeter on the brink of ridiculous. The pacing in this movie is very...jarring, I guess? I felt like it never really found a rhythm. I don't know if there are a lot of differences between this version at the theatrical/original one (this was my first experience with the film in any form) but it felt like a movie that had undergone quite a few edits/revisions. I think this is a movie that if I saw growing up, I would love and overlook its flaws, but I find it harder to do so now. It's still fun and I'd watch it again at some point, for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment