21 June 2011

The Tree of Life (Terrence Malick, 2011)

9/10
Probably one of the most gloriously self-absorbed, pretentious, portentous, silly movies I've ever seen...and I was pretty much under its spell for the full 2 and a half hours.
In a different mood I might have hated this - it's so ludicrously unsubtle and features so many lines that sound like they were pulled from the George Lucas school of dialogue writing, that I can't really fault anyone for not putting up with it. But I found once I was able to sort of surrender myself to it, it really became a pleasure that I didn't want to end. Just to compare, I re-watched Days of Heaven again this weekend, and that movie is so unsubtle and features some pretty brutal dialogue that I guess it just comes with Malick's territory. None of the themes he tackles are anything close to original, but the style in which they're presented is certainly one of a kind. I can't imagine another movie on earth comparable to this one (I was at seperate times reminded of 2001: A Space Odyssey, Enter the Void and The White Ribbon) and can't think of another American director currently working willing to try something this insane, so I think love it or hate it, you have to appreciate its existence.

No comments:

Post a Comment