24 September 2011

Bridesmaids (Paul Feig, 2011)

7/10
I was a little disappointed, given all the hype, but that's how I felt about The Hangover. And given the similarities between the two, I guess it's not unfitting. Kristen Wiig is great and has to carry the load the entire film, but I was almost disappointed that the movie focused on her as much as it did - I was kind of hoping for more of an ensemble comedy where you got to know the bridesmaids more individually. There are definitely some laugh-out-loud moments, but it can't shake off the shackles of its genre origins - numerous montages, sing-alongs, and a love story ending anyone can see a mile away that sweeps Wiig's characters actual problems (no job, no money, living with her mother, etc) right under the rug. Funny but not entirely satisfying.

No comments:

Post a Comment