24 September 2012

From Dusk Till Dawn (Robert Rodriguez, 1996)

6/10
I was in the mood for something light and I'd never seen this one all the way through, so I put it on. It has a really great first half, and Clooney and Tarantino (despite the latter receiving a Razzie nom for worst actor) have surprisingly good chemistry. I'm also a fan of both Harvey Keitel and Juliette Lewis so their presence was welcome. When the movie breaks off into its second half (the siege on the vampires at the bar), it becomes significantly less interesting and doesn't appear to know what to do with itself. Tarantino may have written the screenplay (so of course he ends up with Salma Hayek's foot in his mouth) but the jarring discrepancy between a great first half and a spoiled second half was a criticism I had of Rodriguez's Planet Terror. Maybe these two are best kept apart, in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment