08 January 2013

La Strada (Federico Fellini, 1954)

9/10
Who knows why it takes me so long to watch certain movies. I've owned this forever, finally got to it last night. What a great, sad, tragic, funny movie this is. In the all-time pantheon of "they were made for that role", Giulietta Masina takes top spot. The expressiveness of her face and the way she portrays naive happiness and heartbreaking sadness - incredible. I'll have to scope out Nights of Cabiria next.
One thing that did disappoint me with the movie was the dubbing. Even if standards back then aren't as they are now, it was still pretty poor. I can forgive having Anthony Quinn speak his lines in English and dubbing them in Italian (though I don't love it) but little things like the trumpet sounds not even synching up with the movement of Gelsomina's lips - that kind of bugs me. I kind of wonder why so little attention was paid to these minor details that would have been easy to fix. Oh well.

No comments:

Post a Comment