19 April 2013

Evil Dead (Fede Alvarez, 2013)

7.5/10
I've never seen the original, so I can't compare the two. I went with a friend who's a diehard fan of the original, and he said the movie departed so much from the original they could have made a few more changes and had a brand new movie, without having to worry about comparisons to a cult classic. So why didn't they? Is this where Hollywood is at now, where we have to attach our film to an existing one if we ever hope to get it made? Yikes...
Incidentally said friend didn't like this remake, but I thought it was pretty good. Although honestly, the state of new horror movies is so pathetic that I think I call one good if it doesn't piss me off. Evil Dead didn't, much. Sure there's typical survival horror stupidity, but that's to be expected. The scares are good, the movie is incredible to look at (both cinematography and effects) and I felt it was pretty original, for what it is.
On the downside, the acting is terrible, the dialogue is stupid, the music (especially the "emotional" music) would be brutal for even a Twilight film, and the subtle nods to the original in certain musical cues and editing choices would have been better avoided altogether.
Despite all that, I had a good time. Not bad at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment