19 May 2013

Star Trek Into Darkness (J.J. Abrams, 2013)

6/10
The first Star Trek reboot film was the first Star Trek anything I'd ever seen, and I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it. I can't put my finger on what it was, but the magic just didn't work for me a second time around. It was entertaining enough, but lacked any real 'wow factor' (I got more goosebumps from the Man of Steel trailer preceding the film, actually). I think part of the enjoyment of the first movie was meeting the characters and seeing them define themselves - there wasn't so much of that here, just the same group thrown into a skirmish that seemed less like the world-saving effort we're accustomed to in these kinds of movies and more like a minor annoyance...with a predictable end.
And I've complained about this in my last two reviews of J.J. Abrams movies, but seriously, turn the lens flare effect tool down by about 600%. It's stupidly distracting and constantly calling attention to itself as an unnatural special effect.

No comments:

Post a Comment