10 June 2013

Berberian Sound Studio (Peter Strickland, 2012)

6/10
Peter Stickland has a way of making moves that sound like they'd be right up my alley, only to lead to inevitable disappointment. First there was his rape-revenge Romanian road movie Katalin Varga, and now his psychological thriller set in the early 80's giallo sound studio of the film's title.
It does some things really well, nailing the colors and atmosphere evocative of the time, and the soundtrack by the band Broadcast is really good too. But nothing much happens in the movie to make you care until it's too late - and by that point it feels like a parlour trick than a plot point or something of relevance. It feels like the movie ends just as it's really beginning, or that Stickland had half of an idea and couldn't figure out where else to go with it so just dropped it. I'm disappointed I wasn't able to like the movie any more than I did, and it's never a good sign when the fictional film being made in the movie (never shown) sounds more interesting than what's transpiring on-screen. It compelled me to put in a Mario Bava flick from the 70's that I was enjoying right up until I fell asleep, but I blame Stickland for getting me to that point, not Bava.

No comments:

Post a Comment