20 May 2014

Only Lovers Left Alive (Jim Jarmusch, 2013)

7/10
I liked Jim Jarmusch's last movie, The Limits of Control, quite a bit when I saw it in theatres. I'm not sure if it would hold up on a repeat viewing, though, and Only Lovers Left Alive is the reason for my skepticism. In a lot of ways it's a very similar movie. Slow, stylish, and it's easy to feel like it's more of a showcase for Jarmusch's favorite music than anything else. But luckily Jarmusch's aesthetics line up with what appeals to me, so I enjoyed myself. Swinton and Hiddleston are fine, and the movie glides along with an effortless cool and sexiness. Any plotting involving Mia Wasikowska and John Hurt's characters feels pretty incidental, but they play their parts well too.
I very much enjoyed the urban decay portrayed in the movie in Tangier and in Detroit (but mostly Detroit) although I wish Jarmusch had done more to tie it in more with his characters, or emphasize the connections between the two.

No comments:

Post a Comment