12 July 2016

Avengers: Age of Ultron (Joss Whedon, 2015)

5/10
I really liked the first Avengers. Also, it's one of the few superhero franchises where I haven't already missed a dozen entries and feel hopelessly behind the curve (X-Men, Captain America) so I'm doing my best to keep up with this one. And I'm having a hard time trying to pin down why I didn't like this one so much. Its plot feels extremely fractured, not so much in a confusing way but just that it's so noticeably all over the place. The amount of time devoted to the in-fighting in this group (just so they can inevitably bond together at the right moment) is bordering on critical mass, and it was already a criticism of mine the first time around. It feels like padding time in a movie that doesn't need any more padding. And OK, I understand it for the heroes, but geez, do you really have to make even the villain a smarmy, quippy, banter-heavy caricature?
The battle scenes were certainly impressive, but maybe the overall effect was like spending two and a half hours with the volume turned up to 11. After a while, things stopped registering and I got bored. Maybe it's me.

No comments:

Post a Comment