10 November 2008

Death at a Funeral (Frank Oz, 2007)

3/10
Someone recommended this to me because "if I liked Extras (the series), I'd love this". I do like Extras and I like British humor, but this was not similar and had nothing going for it at all. It was like they were trying to make an American Britcom...and it was pretty bad. The "straight man accidentally takes psychedelic drugs and things get crazy!!!" crutch has been used to death, as has the cranky old impaired elder who swears and hates everything character. Most of the other jokes were just incredibly lame (the old man poops on one of the guys' hands! the midget gets placed on top of the dad in the coffin in a 69 position! how outlandish!) and fell totally flat. The writing was dull and uninspired too, which is normally the strength of so many British comedies. Overall I chuckled maybe twice, and otherwise barely broke a grin. Disappointing considering how much it'd been hyped. Then I get on IMDB and see dozens of people going "omg I was laughing so hard when the guy got poop on his hand I could barely breathe!!" and I wonder if it's just me.

No comments:

Post a Comment