10 November 2008

The Hired Hand (Peter Fonda, 1971)

8.5/10
Great Western directed by and starring Peter Fonda and featuring Warren Oates. The story moves slowly, deals with unconventional Western subject matter, and features only about 3 minutes total of actual gunfighting. So anyone expecting a conventional, action-packed Western will hate it. Personally I loved it, and two things immediately struck me - the fantastic editing job (which, with all the fancy image burns and transitions and whatnot, some will say is to distract from the fact that there's no real story) and the amazing soundtrack by Bruce Langhorne I believe. The two combine for an opening sequence that I don't think I'll soon forget. If you like Westerns that are somewhat off the beaten path, check this one out.

No comments:

Post a Comment