15 October 2010

The Strange Case of Angelica (Manoel de Oliveira, 2010)

5/10 This was my first Manoel de Oliveira film. I figured the guy is 102 years old, might as well get started while he's still alive. But really I was disappointed. The plot is a young photographer summoned to photograph the body of the recently deceased Angelica. Soon the photographer's pictures of her seem to come alive and he's being visited by her in his dreams (or are they?). The movie is beautifully shot and often feels like a visual artifact from the 60's (in a good way) and de Oliveira's stoic direction is pitch perfect. However the story is largely uninteresting, the dream sequences are corny, and the ending is milquetoast. Basically I wanted to like this one a lot more than I did, but I won't let it sour me on the rest of the director's oeuvre.

No comments:

Post a Comment