24 October 2010

Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives (Apichatpong Weerasethakul, 2010)

8.5/10
8.5 with the definitie possibility to move higher. This was the first Apichaitpong Weerasethakul movie I've seen and it had me spellbound from start to finish. A film about a dying man visited by all manner of ghosts and spirits (and who can indeed recall his past life), the movie is almost a little too opaque at some points, but in a good way - I feel like I want to watch it again and again until I get everything. The movie is beautifully shot and even the most absurd sequences (woman-on-catfish love? A son reincarnated as a red-eyed monkey?) are pulled off with such a deft touch it's impossible to imagine them any other way. Now I really have to get started on older Weerasethakuls.

No comments:

Post a Comment