08 January 2012

Last Year at Marienbad (Alain Resnais, 1961)

9.5/10
I watched the first 30 minutes or so so many times before writing this review I think I lost count. An impenetrable Rubik's cube of dreamlogic (or maybe just pseudo-philosophical arty nonsense), I was completely under its spell - from the beautiful dialogue to the unbelievable hotel itself, and everything in between, particularly Alain Resnais' other-worldly mise-en-scenes. I will say that I enjoyed exploring the hotel, the guests, the conversations, the games, the courtyard, etc more than the actual meat of the movie (a man trying to convince a woman that they had met exactly one year ago), so I'll ding it half a point there, but this is a movie I'll be watching over and over again until I die.

No comments:

Post a Comment