28 August 2012

Blissfully Yours (Apichatpong Weerasethakul, 2002)

8.5/10
The only other Aipichatpong Weerasethakul (that was from memory, did I get it right?) movie I've seen was Uncle Boonmee last year. As I was watching Blissfully Yours, made almost ten years earlier, I found myself thinking "well this is okay, but it's no Uncle Boonmee". As the movie wore on, I changed to "well this is quite good, you can definitely see signs of the skill he showed in Uncle Boonmee". Then it was "this is tremendous, do I like it more than Uncle Boonmee?". Then the movie ended and I still don't know. So the movie was - a little clunky to start with but finds its rhythm (I would say right after the opening credits, 45 minutes into the film) and the final 30-45 minutes are just magically hypnotic. Slowly being seduced by or falling under the spell of a movie is one of the most enjoyable pleasures in cinema for me and Blissfully Yours nailed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment