26 August 2012

Children of Paradise (Marcel Carne, 1945)

9/10
I'm not going to lie - an 8:30 showing when you've just worked a full day probably isn't the ideal setting to see this movie. I had a hard time following it, which was frustrating because I really liked it. So I went out and bought the Criterion DVD and plan to watch it again really soon. It's rare to see a film to fantastic and so saddening at once but Children of Paradise effortlessly flits in between both, as well as packing itself with action, comedy, and performance artistry of all kinds. Baptiste the mime may be the most complex and tragic film character I'd never encountered, until I saw this movie. It was beautiful, and I'm looking forward to re-watching it.
Also I rarely say this about any black-and-white movie, but what a shame this one couldn't be colour. It would have been absolutely mindblowing.

No comments:

Post a Comment