19 August 2013

Elysium (Neill Blomkamp, 2013)

7/10
Given some of the criticism I've heard about it, I was expecting worse. In reality, it was pretty good. At the very least, I was entertained, and I didn't find Blomkamp's social commentary too heavy-handed. It was a little goofy at times, and there were some issues with the tone - in the early-going it felt entirely too mechanical, and then tried to make up for lost time by pouring on the cheese, which was unnecessary. Jodie Foster's performance can best be described as 'distracting' (what was the point in giving her a weird French accent?). Sharlto Copley was excellent and Matt Damon was reliable as ever. It wasn't quite the revelation District 9 was but I guess Blomkamp set the bar too high for himself with that one. Elysium is still a pretty respectable follow-up performance.

No comments:

Post a Comment