02 December 2013

3 Women (Robert Altman, 1977)

7/10
I'm currently reading Kier-La Janisse's "autobiographical topography of female neurosis in horror and exploitation films" House of Psychotic Women, which is so far excellent, and Robert Altman's 3 Women was discussed in an early chapter. I bought the Criterion Blu-Ray a while ago and never watched it, so I made time for it. It's certainly a bizarre, enchanting film. Whether it was Altman's decision or not, lots of credit to whoever decided to put Sissy Spacek and Shelly Duvall in a movie together, two of the most unique female faces ever to make it in Hollywood for sure. I enjoyed the movie, even if it didn't make a whole lot of sense or say very much. I liked the central relationship between Duvall and Spacek's characters. There was a good deal of black humor throughout and I had a hard time deciding which girl I felt sorrier for. The back of the DVD case notes that the two live in an "underpopulated" California town and that's the perfect word for it. The desolate, barely-alive town becomes a character almost in and of itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment