02 December 2013

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (Francis Lawrence, 2013)

8/10
One of the rare instances where I think the sequel topped the original (which was also very good)...unfortunately this is Hollywood and we're treated to a two-part finale that's become all the rage when there's money to be made (Harry Potter, Twilight, etc) and hopefully the next two films do the rest of the series justice. When I read the book I was a little let down by the fact that Katniss and Peeta had to re-enter the Games, effectively repeating the main stage from the first movie but I felt like it was better handled here, or maybe it bothered me less because I knew it was coming.
In any case, Catching Fire does a really good job of pretty much everything - the special effects are good, the action is solid (a little less of if this time around, though), it resonates emotionally and everything feels very authentic. It's hard not to feel like most of this is because virtually 100% of the movie passes through Jennifer Lawrence's Katniss, and Lawrence is tremendous in the role, walking a thin line between strength and vulnerability. I feel like the film adaptations would not be nearly as enjoyable without her, and I look forward to seeing what she does with some of the heavier material that makes up the final book.

No comments:

Post a Comment