22 January 2014

Her (Spike Jonze, 2013)

9/10
I enjoyed this very much. Joaquin Phoenix was incredible, it was very easy to forget the fact that he spent almost the entire movie acting against himself, so to speak. It was an incredibly tight year for Best Actor but seeing some of the incredible performances left out in the cold (Phoenix, Hanks) makes Bale's nod seem like even more of a bad joke. OK no shots at American Hustle in my next review, I promise. Maybe.
There's not much to say that hasn't already been said. Spike Jonze deserves a truckload of credit for an amazing, believable story set in a future that never feels too "futuristic" or alien, as well as for dealing with a fairly out-there idea with a lot of seriousness, maturity and sensitivity. The movie was also gorgeously photographed, which didn't hurt.
I wouldn't say I was surprised at how much (or many times) this movie touched me emotionally, given what I had read about it, but that didn't make the fact that it did any less impressive.
If I had a minor complaint it would be to say the ending felt a little rushed and even a little out of step with the rest of the film, as if a problem was needed immediately to bring about a resolution with which to end the film...but it still worked well.

No comments:

Post a Comment