15 January 2014

Inside Llewyn Davis (Joel Coen & Ethan Coen, 2013)

8.5/10
I've seen a good number of movies this year from all over the place, and Inside Llewyn Davis, for me, was one of the most challenging. Or difficult. Or impenetrable. Or maybe it means nothing more than what's on screen and I'm reading more into it than what is actually there. The Coens have a history of inserting weird, magical, semi-symbolic scenes in their movies that seem out of place in worlds that are otherwise starkly rooted in reality (off the top of my head, the dybbuk opening scene and the closing tornado in A Serious Man, the bowling dream sequence in The Big Lebowski, the fiery hotel in Barton Fink, the repeated shots of ceiling fans in Blood Simple). Inside Llewyn Davis felt like one of those scenes, stretched out to a 1h45m running time. The car trip in particular was one of the most disorienting and surreal sequences I've seen in a movie that I thought was supposed to be "normal". Of course, there is a relatively "normal" storyline but much in the same way I'm certain A Serious Man is about a lot more than a Jewish guy in Minnesota, I'm certain Inside Llewyn Davis is about a lot more than a folk singer in New York. Don't ask me to explain what more it's about, I'm just the cat in the car along for the ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment