04 April 2014

The Grand Budapest Hotel (Wes Anderson, 2014)

8/10
Pretty much as advertised, but I mean that in a good way. If you've seen the trailer, you know well what to expect. In fact I wish I hadn't seen the trailer (or hadn't seen it as many times as I did) because I felt a lot of the movie's funnier parts were already shown. But it was still very enjoyable, lots of fun, light fare. All the cameos from Wes Anderson regulars are fun, the movie is very stylish and always a pleasure to look at, and the plotting is surprisingly clever and intricate. My only complaints are for a slow beginning and an abrupt ending. And I would have enjoyed an even longer middle section, as it felt like the fun was over too fast. But better than overstaying its welcome, I guess. Anyway it was a good time, and every one in our group of 7 enjoyed themselves which is a rarity, so I can't imagine who this wouldn't appeal to.

No comments:

Post a Comment