24 September 2014

The Saddest Music in the World (Guy Maddin, 2003)

7/10
I've never seen a Guy Maddin movie before but I really wanted to like this one more than I did because I like Maddin's aesthetics. I liked the way this movie was shot. I guess it could be gimmicky but I don't mind aggressively embracing gimmickry in the way Maddin does.
The plot sounded really intriguing but I was ultimately disappointed that the main focus of the movie was on the characters' inter-personal relationships and less on the contest that kicks off the movie. I think the latter would have been much more interesting. I quite liked Maria de Medeiros (who I only ever knew from her role in Pulp Fiction) but I was never sold on Mark McKinney. It seemed like a strange casting choice and his character never really felt believable to me. Nevertheless I still enjoyed the movie well enough and look forward to seeing Maddin's other works.

No comments:

Post a Comment