08 September 2014

A Most Wanted Man (Anton Corbijn, 2014)

7/10
My reaction to A Most Wanted Man reminds me of my reaction to Tinker Tailer Soldier Spy, which is that I enjoyed it well enough while it was on screen but it never sparked anything in me beyond that. The movies are similar in that they're both a little knotty and dry (although AMWM is missing the whodunnit aspect in its story) but well-made and very well-acted. Philip Seymour Hoffman is his usual casually great self, making it feel like even more of a shame that this is his last leading role. Willem Dafoe is very good too. Rachel McAdams is okay although her accent is a little wonky at times. As for the director, Anton Corbijn, I hope he finds more to do with himself beyond functional espionage adaptations (his last one was The American) because I feel like he has a lot of talent, and it's being a little wasted in these more by-the-numbers movies.

No comments:

Post a Comment