26 January 2015

Nightcrawler (Dan Gilroy, 2014)

8/10
It was enjoyable. L.A. was as grimy as Jake Gyllenhaal looked. Gyllenhaal himself was good but maybe not as fantastic as I was expecting (i.e. I'm fine with the Oscar snub). I'm curious to see what writer/debut director Dan Gilroy comes up with next, this was quite an interesting movie for a debut feature. I think in a few decades time we'll look back on movies like Nightcrawler, Drive, Spring Breakers and Killing Them Softly (those were the ones that came to mind) as some kind of loose Americana movement or socio-political statement or something that I'm not qualified to put together...but they all seem to be from the same cloth.
One thing I really liked was how the "relationship" between Lou and Nina took place almost entirely off-screen. Hallelujah, a movie that didn't try to shove its two characters getting together (I can't in good conscience call it a "romance") in our faces.

No comments:

Post a Comment