16 May 2015

A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night (Ana Lily Amirpour, 2014)

6.5/10
More or less exactly what you'd expect to be, despite its odd existence ("black and white Iranian-language Spaghetti Western vampire movie ala Jim Jarmusch"). The B&W photography is very nice and the movie is well directed, and it has a great soundtrack. It moves at a glacial pace, but it feels a bit like it's leaning heavily on the "slow = artistic" trend and not because it serves the film any particular purpose. In fact the more I watched the harder I found it to shake this niggling feeling that if it weren't for all its pre-packaged exotica and bells and whistles ("A slow-paced vampire movie? Shot in black and white? In Persian?!?"), A Girl Walks Home wouldn't be talked about nearly as much as it is. Once you strip away those call-them-gimmicks-if-you-will, there's a concerning lack of story and depth to the movie. It's pretty and kind of cool but not something I see myself returning to, although I'll remain curious to see what else writer/director Ana Lily Amirpour comes up with next. I'd give the soundtrack a few more listens if I could find it, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment