24 May 2016

Deadpool (Tim Miller, 2016)

7/10
This was not quite the "revolution in superhero movies" I feel like some people hyped it up to be. If you know a little about the Deadpool character going in there probably won't be anything here you wouldn't expect. Some of the jokes land (my absolute favorite being Deadpool's confusion as to whether he's being taken to see James McAvoy or Patrick Stewart when he's being hauled off to meet with Charles Xavier) and some of them, particularly the cruder ones, feel kinda high school-ish and cringey in their attempts to be "edgy".
I saw some people complaining about its obvious low budget, but that was one of its more endearing traits to me. I did find myself hoping for some cameos/crossovers from other Marvel characters just because it would have been fun to see Deadpool interact with them, but he had good enough chemistry with Colossus and Negasonic Teenage Warhead that it wasn't a major issue.
Overall I was entertained and not insulted, and I don't demand too much more out of comic book movies these days. More than anything I felt happy for Ryan Reynolds(strangely, as I have no strong feelings towards him one way or the other) for making a passion project work and pleasing as many people as it did.

No comments:

Post a Comment