06 June 2016

Embrace of the Serpent (Ciro Guerra, 2015)

6/10
I was a little surprised at the overwhelmingly positive reviews of this movie. It seemed up my alley but I expected to like it more than I did. It had kind of superficial Herzog quality to it, but rather than being mystical and subtle it was kind of heavy-handed and on the nose. The sound design and mixing was excellent, but I'm a little on the fence about the use of black and white. I don't know, the movie did look good too but at the same time I kind of question washing out the whole Amazon, I feel like something was lost. Overall I found it okay, I liked the idea of a character bridging two narratives and being told via the diary of the people involved but as a whole it just didn't resonate too much with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment