06 June 2016

Keanu (Peter Atencio, 2016)

7/10
Thought it was okay, not as laugh out loud funny as I would have hoped for but there are some good lines. I thought it poked good fun at the gangster movie cliches, but despite that the structure of the movie felt heavily borrowed from the 21 Jump Street remake - a comedy about two guys in a "fish out of water" scenario, one of them gets somewhat pulled into the lifestyle, they have to prove they're legit, etc. There's even scenes in both of them where they're made to ingest the drug at the center of the narrative. And the semi-ironic love for a pop star (George Michael here) reminded me of the Backstreet Boys in This is the End, and I feel like there's another example of this that's eluding me at the moment. So not terribly original I don't think, but entertaining enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment