16 January 2010

The Lovely Bones (Peter Jackson, 2009)

7/10
There's a lot not to like about this movie but I myself enjoyed it for the most part. The directing and the cinematography are easily the best parts, as the movie is always a joy on the eyes, and the acting is mostly above par, Stanley Tucci and Saorise Ronan in particular. Mark Wahlberg I could take or leave but I didn't find him to be a problem here.
However the movie suffers from some bizarre rhythm and pacing issues, the CGI constantly toes the line between fascinating and distracting, and there are more than a few cornball moments to make you roll your eyes. I'm not sure how the book went but the ending was definitely mishandled as well. But despite all this I was entertained and interested throughout.

No comments:

Post a Comment