29 October 2012

Argo (Ben Affleck, 2012)

8/10
I had heard some things about Argo playing fast and loose with history, so I went out of my way to avoid reading any of the facts until I saw the movie because, hey, I like a good yarn as much as anyone. And a good yarn Argo does spin - the pacing is tight and the tone is a perfect balance of humour and drama. Affleck, Arkin, Goodman and Cranston were all excellent, and any movie of this era is going to benefit from a more than listenable soundtrack. Really, I didn't have very many complaints. The "runway chase" at the end of the movie felt a little too cinematic (but as I've yet to study the facts, I have no idea if that actually happened or not) and the barely-there thread about Affleck's wife and kid was shoehorned-in, Hollywood schmaltz. The six hostages are little more than ciphers but there was enough going on that you can forgive their lack of character development. Maybe ignorance is bliss and the key to fully enjoying Argo but at the end of the day, sometimes we go to the movies just to be entertained, and I was. Finally a movie worthy of all the premature hype Affleck the Director has been garnering.

No comments:

Post a Comment