01 October 2012

Looper (Rian Johnson, 2012)

7.5/10
Looper was a film I liked but didn't love, and I'm not really sure why. I didn't get pulled into the tension or suspense like I hoped I would. I wonder at times about the viability of time travel as a plot device - to me, it seems to create problems and plotholes just because of its inherently contradictory nature. At times I found myself wrestling with those contradictions instead of letting myself enjoy the film. That said, it was never boring, and everyone gives a game performance. The special effects are nifty and above all else, the movie is finally something original out of Hollywood, so thank god for that.
Two problems with the visuals in the film - at times Joseph Gordon-Levitt is so made-up he barely looks like himself or Bruce Willis. It's jarring and takes you right out of the film's reality. My second problem was with Hollywood's latest obsession, the goddamn solar flare filter. What quicker and easier way to make your high-tech, multi-million dollar movie look cheaply artificial and obnoxious? This trend needs to die a quick death.

No comments:

Post a Comment