22 July 2013

Frances Ha (Noah Baumbach, 2012)

8.5/10
Killing time before the movie below, I went to see Frances Ha not knowing much about it aside its positive reviews and comparisons to Woody Allen and the French New Wave. I definitely get both - in fact, in the first few minutes, I was sort of preparing myself for a pretentious and annoying "hipster" flick. But despite its obvious influences, it really wasn't. In fact it was a very disarming and very charming story about a very awkward twentysomething girl basically trying to get her shit together. It's not really laugh-out-loud funny the way a Woody Allen movie can be, and it doesn't contain many great revelations or insights, but it manages to be constantly entertaining and it features one of the most interesting and well-written female leads I've seen in a while, portrayed brilliantly by Greta Gerwig (who also co-wrote the movie). She's the kind of character you wish were real so you could go home and read more about her. In any event I thought the whole movie was very original and very charming, a very pleasant surprise as I was basically using it to spend time before another movie (that I wound up enjoying less than Frances Ha anyway).

No comments:

Post a Comment