13 February 2015

The Imitation Game (Morten Tyldum, 2014)

6.5/10
I mean, you know, it is what it is. Incredibly formulaic, tells a reasonably interesting story, well scripted, well acted, perfectly pitched at the old white dudes who give out the awards...there's not really much to say. I remember in reviewing a movie once kihei said, as a kind of metric, 'there must be someone, somewhere out there who claims this is their favorite movie, but who?'. I felt that way about The Imitation Game, so non-descript on so many levels that I can't imagine anyone ever claiming it as their favorite movie of all time...but I guess there must be someone out there!
With regards to the movie itself, one thing I didn't like was the inclusion of newsreel clips and historical footage of rote scenes like soldiers going to war or ships ablaze in the ocean or whatever. It felt ugly and unnecessary.
I've heard some complaints about the way they dealt with Turing's homosexuality and whether it really had a place in the movie but I didn't mind the way it was handled. Surely it would have been a bigger omission to not address it at all? Especially since it deeply affected his life and his work.
I also, of course, went on Wikipedia and read all about the inconsistencies/inaccuracies, of which there are many, but I usually don't care too much about that. I try to take a Herzogian 'ecstatic truth' approach to biopics like this as opposed to expecting a historical record from a piece of entertainment.
But whatever. Accurate or not I'm not going to remember it too far beyond this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment