18 August 2008

No Country for Old Men (Ethan Coen & Joel Coen, 2008)

8.5/10
I'm gonna have to sit on this one for a while to see just how much I liked it...I really liked everything the whole way through and had heard about the "unconventional" ending so I was ready for it, but I still kinda had to take a moment to process everything (I even went on IMDB to make sure I didn't miss anything major). In terms of pure cinema it's an obvious masterpiece but it didn't leave me feeling wholly satisfied which is why I'm giving it an 8.5 as opposed to a 10. Spoilers: I don't mean I was unsatisfied in the sense of "I can't believe Llewelyn died and you didn't even get to see it and how come Anton lived and who got the money in the end this isn't fair blah blah"...I understand what they did and why...it just kind of a strange, empty feeling at the end, purely from a story perspective.
I was really happy to see that Javier Bardim got Best Supporting Actor...he was phenomenal. The Anton Chigurh character is one of the best, most interesting characters I've seen in years. I was also pleasantly surprised at how much (black) humour was in the movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment