20 October 2013

Closed Curtain (Jafar Panahi & Kambuzia Partovi, 2013)

6/10
I kind of felt wrong going to this one without seeing Jafar Panahi’s previous work, This is Not a Film, made under house arrest and after explicit orders from the Iranian government to stop making movies. But I gave it a shot, and I have to confess that the low score is owing to the fact that I just didn’t get it. It starts out simple enough, with a writer and his dog hiding out in a house and settling in to get some work done. A woman shows up, also on the run from authorities, and resists the writer’s attempts to get her to leave. The film gets stranger when Panahi himself shows up and the film focuses on him living in the house and occasionally interacting with the writer and the woman and other characters who come into the house. My best guess is that this is some sort of paean to the creative process (didn’t I already say that in another review?) mixed with Panahi’s current life and his coming to terms with his current life…but I’m not really sure. I was mostly stumped.

No comments:

Post a Comment