20 October 2013

Gabrielle (Louise Archambault, 2013)

7.5/10
Canada’s entry for Best Foreign Language Oscar…strangely I was expecting worse, but I was also hoping for better. When I heard about the subject matter (a relationship between intellectually-challenged adults and their looming choral performance) I prepared myself for Oscar-y mawkishness. But it’s actually a very heartfelt, fun, and emotionally honest film. It treats its subjects with respect and doesn’t feel exploitative in any sense. But on the other hand I was waiting for a heavy moment or an emotional release that never really came – it just floated by, making me smile but not doing a whole lot else. The movie raised an interesting dilemma when one of the protagonists’ own mother opposes the couple’s relationship on the grounds that they’re “not like regular people”, but this thread is abandoned with no real exploration. I feel like some of the heavier issues were pushed aside to hurry to the feel-good ending. So I had fun, but I wanted more.

No comments:

Post a Comment