21 October 2013

Our Sunhi (Hong Sang-soo, 2013)

8.5/10
My first encounter with another renowned director, Hong Sangsoo, went a lot better. I see a lot of Sangsoo fans mentioning this is a "slight" work by his standards, and it does have a light and breezy feel to it, but I thought that was one of its best attributes. It feels a lot like a Woody Allen movie with a clever, self-referencing script that was wry and delicate and funny and touching. It's essentially composed of a series of conversations, often in long and naturalistic takes, between Sunhi, her ex-boyfriend, their mutual friend, and her professor. I can't place my finger on it but I thought the movie also said something profound about the repetitiveness of humanity, our speech and our relationships. Overall it was a very pleasant surprise.

No comments:

Post a Comment