15 October 2013

The Strange Color of Your Body's Tears (Helene Cattet & Bruno Forzani, 2013)

6.5/10
I haven't seen it but I have heard a lot about Helene Cattet and Bruno Forzani's previous feature, Amer, as an extremely stylish ode to giallo movies. When this was announced, with its ridiculous title and promise of ridiculous things within, I decided to go with low expectations. The film, unfortunately, met those expectations. It's a visual feast, from setting to effects, and it has some scenes that will stick with me for a long time - a body possession scene in particular is the best of its kind I've ever seen. The plot starts promising enough (a man's wife disappears inside their apartment with rumors of other disappearances leading to speculation that the building itself is consuming people) but it quickly goes way off the rails and I'd pay good money to anyone who was actually able to explain the plot coherently. The ending is more silliness tacked on to silliness but at an hour and a half running time, the movie doesn't overstay its welcome. Fun to look at but not much else.

No comments:

Post a Comment